Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Graduating from Bible Study?


A friend recently asked me if I would still go to Bible study if I had memorized the entire Bible.

For me the answer to that question is a resounding yes. I will never 'graduate' from Bible study. Even if I had obtained a degree in some sort of Biblical studies, I would still go to Bible study.

For me, Bible study is about so much more than studying scripture.


It is about sharing in the lives of women, holding each other accountable, praying for each other, hugging each other in times of joy and in times of sorrow, making happiness kabobs (don't ask), asking questions without fear, encouraging each other, learning about the character of God, praising God when he provides and is faithful in our lives, confessing our sins to each other, thanking God for his many blessings in our lives, making new boyfriends fumble awkwardly for words when they meet us all at once, learning from each other, acknowledging our unique gifts, having wonderful potluck dinners, claiming the truth of scripture, renouncing lies that are told to us day in and day out, and so much more.

I don't want to minimize the actual studying of the Bible that happens at Bible study. If you come, you would find us reading and studying the visions of Daniel, the plagues in Exodus, a perfect love described in 1 John, the acts of the apostles, and so much more. You may think we are strange, laugh a lot, and don't always make sense, but that is our Bible study.



And the Bible is so much more than I could ever describe. Even when I read verses that I have read and studied previously, I continue to learn more about God and what is true. I could say more, but I am repeating words, so I will stop. The conclusion remains that I will never 'graduate' from Bible study.

Psalm 119

2 comments:

sereibel said...

Christine, thanks so much for sharing this! And I completely agree that engaging in a Bible study is relational as well as educational. One remarkable thing that I've experienced both in my job as a teacher and in Bible studies/small groups over the years is that bringing many minds to study the same subject/topic unpacks even the most familiar things in new ways. When I taught 9th grade Protestant Doctrine my first year teaching, one of my students asked if the voice of God which pronounced "This is my son w/ whom I am well pleased" was audible or sensed or experienced or just like a normal voice. Her question revealed that I had always presumed it was audible to everyone present and that inquiry made me reevaluate that passage and dig deeper! This has happened so many times in Bible studies where someone has noticed something or has a particular insight/experience which enriches everyone else's appreciation and understanding of that passage of scripture. It's the same reason why even the most brilliant people work in thinktanks--b/c many minds working together from different persepctives are actually stronger than if they worked individually. And moreover, God designed us to be in relationship--Christ, although God incarnate, could have changed the world singlehandedly, he chose to teach and fellowship with his 12 disciples. And it is actually through a lot of their questioning, sin, and relational struggles that Christ taught them not only through word but by example and through his relationships. Being in Bible studies has stretched me in Christian relationships as much as it has educated me in the word. I have had to confront my judgment, envy, moments of withheld forgiveness, and other sins through these groups. I have also been inspired by fellow women whose faith, joy, discipline, generosity, tact and grace have shown me more of the Christian woman I want to become. And I am kept humble by learning from women much younger than me (haha) such as you! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and journey through this blog. It's awesome.

Unknown said...

a good word, Christine