Saturday, August 22, 2009

Back in Mundri

For the last two weeks I have been in Uganda spending a few days on vacation and the rest of the time in Kampala doing some banking, getting my work permit, and purchasing construction supplies for our housing. As Michael put it, our team housing will arrive this week with some assembly required. We hope to be done with the construction by the end of this year.

I spent three days on vacation in Jinja near the source of the Nile and a little vacation time in Kampala. Jinja was beautiful and quiet. I had a lot of time to think and pray about my first three months in Mundri. In Kampala I got a pedicure, and my feet felt really clean for the first time in months. I also saw a movie in a movie theater, did some personal shopping, and went out to eat. I journaled a lot over those few days of vacation with no distractions or commitments. It was a perfect few days of rest and relaxation.

While I was in Uganda, I also got to meet Bob, a missionary water engineer, and his family. It was great to be able to hear about the work they are doing in Uganda, their vision for ministry, the ways God has worked through them, and the ways they have struggled. It also just so happened that several former WHMers were also in Uganda. Scott and Jane had us over for dinner along with Joel, who worked with Michael as an engineering intern in Uganda. It has been such a blessing to be part of the WHM family, and slowly I am getting to know my extended WHM family.

Now I am back home in Mundri with the rest of the team. After a month of people coming and going, the eight of us are reunited and sitting around the dinner table together again. This week we will resume work on the construction of our team housing and continue to seek funding for our rural water ministry grant proposal.

No comments: