Friday, August 28, 2009

Dependent Engineer


Yesterday we installed three of the pipes on the water tower. We are making progress, and it is even starting to resemble the finished product.

Connecting the threaded pipes to the tank seemed like it would be a simple job compared to lifting the tank onto the platform, but it turned out to be far more challenging than expected. Things were complicated by the fact that our ladder has not yet arrived with the remainder of our building supplies. Michael climbed on top of the tower with one pipe wrench while I stayed on the ground with the other. One of the pipes had to be rethreaded once it was already bolted to the tank, and the cordless drill charger broke in the middle of the job.

As I learn how to work as an engineer who is dependent on God, I am continually reminded of the importance of prayer. I am not always diligent about praying before we start work, but when I don't pray I am more apt to get frustrated, feel unqualified, and act like an orphan instead of a child of God in a thousand other ways.

In the next few days the supplies we bought in Kampala for our housing will be arriving on a truck. I will learn a whole set of new skills as we continue construction including how to build structures with ferrocement.

As construction continues, please join us in prayer.
Pray for protection and safety.
Pray for success and efficiency.
Pray that we would be good stewards of our funds, supplies, and the land.
Pray for the community that will be impacted by our work.
Pray for my heart as I continue to grow in dependence on God.

2 comments:

Becky said...

It's great to read your updates! Will be praying...

Unknown said...

Praying for you Christine! I was just talking about you yesterday to a friend and the good work that I believe you are a part of!! Praying God continues to use and grow you there! Miss you!!