Friday, December 18, 2009

Sleep

"Blessed Creator,
Thou hast promised thy beloved sleep;
Give me restoring rest needful for tomorrow's toil.
Let thy Spirit make my time of repose a blessed temple of his holy presence."
~ Valley of Vision

Since I arrived in Sudan, I have had at least three bouts of sleeplessness, the first being the worst by far. I now find myself again unable to sleep through the night, and when I do sleep, I do not wake up feeling restored. To be sure there a lot of things that can interrupt my sleep on any given night in Mundri including a dance party in town, Chai barking, critters scurrying around in the tent, roosters, a motorcycle revving its engine, or the wind blowing the tent around. I have found that once my sleep is interrupted a few nights in a row, I have a lot of trouble returning to a normal sleep pattern. I know that there are many possible causes for my sleeplessness including the work of the enemy. If there is something that I am not aware of that is stressing me out or making me anxious, I am too tired to discern anything that might be related to my sleeplessness.

Please pray that I would sleep in a deep restorative way. Pray that I would have good times with God this weekend and that God would prepare my heart for Christmas. As many people on the team have already prayed these weeks, please pray that we would all be changed by reality of God with us this Christmas season especially as many of us are longing to be with friends and family across the ocean.

2 comments:

Roy & Betty Herr said...

Hi,Christine. I only know you by name, but God has called me into intersessor prayer, and the Masso's had been at our MD. church years ago and I(Betty) committed my self to pray for them. I too have a sleep problem . I am a light sleeper and anything will keep me awake at times. One of many things was when we served in Hong Kong years ago and dealt with large centipedes. I am praying for you . I take night time tylenol and that helps. The move from Maryland to Landis Homes in PA in July 09was another adjustment, but know God ordained this move. God bless you with abundant sleep, In Christ Betty Herr

GDaniel said...

praying for you tonight.