Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thoughts from a Nittany Lion


Living in South Sudan, I was a little late in hearing about the "Penn State Scandal" as it is has been called by the media. Of course, I tend to read news relating to my alma mater, Penn State.

First let me say, that I have read some about all the events and discoveries of the last few weeks, but I may have missed some information. We don't have TV, and I have only read a small selection of the MANY news articles.

Second, I am not going to write anything here about the details of what allegedly happened at Penn State. If you are not informed about the details, please find a reliable news outlet and read a few articles before considering the rest of what I will write here.

Third, as usual, these are my own comments, and not the opinions of World Harvest Mission.

Now for some of my thoughts...

The alleged crimes that took place at Penn State have seriously shaken many people who know Penn State and have lived in Happy Valley. The allegations are disturbing. I have been thinking about why a scandal like this hurts so much.

I long for the coming Kingdom of Jesus Christ. I long for Biblical justice, which is not just justice that puts right wrongs that come about by the sins of men and women, but I long for everything to be in state of right relationship where wrongs don't have to be put right.

Jesus has a special place in his Kingdom for the weak, for the fatherless, for the widow, for the poor, for the oppressed, for children, and for the marginalized in our society.

This scandal in particular affronts these longings. The weak were attacked, and the strong were selfish and greedy, and that hurts. It is right to be saddened because this affront to God's design for His Kingdom.

The sadness and pain that I feel at hearing about the scandal at Penn State, should be same sadness and pain I feel at all brokenness including the brokenness in my own heart. When I don't defend the cause of the weak and fatherless, when I don't rescue the weak and needy, I sin. My heart is full of selfishness and greed. It may not be as visible and offensive to American society as the selfishness and greed of those involved in the scandal at Penn State, but still I sin against God.

The good news is that God is at work in my heart and in the world restoring broken things. There are foretastes of the coming Kingdom now on Earth. They aren't always easy to see amidst the brokenness. When I see these foretastes like a student body coming together in a candle light vigil and praying for the victims of this scandal, I remember my hope that all things will be made right. I know that everything sad IS coming untrue.

As the "Penn State Scandal" continues to unfold in the media, I pray for the victims, the weak, the children, and all those who had a special place in the ministry of Jesus Christ on Earth. I pray for all whose hearts have been affected by this scandal. I also pray for those who are accused of crimes related to this scandal.

If you have been praying for the victims of the "Penn State Scandal", you may also consider praying for the weak, fatherless, widows, poor, oppressed, children, and marginalized around the world and in your own neighborhood. God asks us to take up their cause, to defend them, to rescue them, to do justice and love mercy. I know I sin and fail in doing justice daily, but I pray that God would give me his eyes and heart for the weak and oppressed.

Psalm 82: 3-4
Defend the weak and the fatherless;
uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed.
Rescue the weak and the needy;
deliver them from the hand of the wicked.

Micah 6:8
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Thank you for this thoughtful post. These events have been so hard to read about.

I responded to your last newsletter, but it bounced back...or at least it said that there was a delay.