Friday, January 18, 2013

A New Semester Brings Disasters


A new semester means new classes and new (used) books.  With titles like "The Road to Hell", "Condemned to Repeat?", "Famine Crimes", and "Despite Good Intentions", I decided to switch out the verses I have written on my mirror.  I added key phrases from Romans 8:18-21.
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.  For the creation waits in eager expectation for the children of God to be revealed.  For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God.
I'm excited about my classes for this semester which are listed below.

Program Planning, Management and Marketing
Applied Research and Evaluation
Relief and Mitigation for Disasters and Complex Humanitarian Emergencies

Living in South Sudan, I saw suffering, but the WHM team entered in the development phase.  Mundri town was years past the relief phase.  This semester I will study relief and disasters.  I am thankful that last semester I had the opportunity to take Theology of Poverty where we discussed suffering and evil, but that does not mean I have it all figured out and will never need a reminder of the promises of God.  Even missionaries need to reminded of the gospel. 

This is the interactive part of this post.  Do YOU have any suggestions of verses to add to my mirror for this semester? My closet has two giant sliding mirrored doors, so there is plenty of room!

2 comments:

Joel said...

Pr. 24:11-12 is one that really makes me think.

Carolyn Stonehouse said...

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." Hebrews 12:1-3