Wednesday, August 7, 2013

AT Water Quality Testing: Suggestions Welcome!

My week at ECHO reminded me how much I enjoy appropriate technology solutions to problems!

For the last year, I have been focusing on international development, which I have loved, but there are moments when I have really missed science, engineering, and hands on experimentation.  So even though I won't officially be involved with the water ministry when I return to South Sudan, I am thinking experimenting with appropriate technology solutions for water quality testing as a fun side project if I have the time.    

After observing a demonstration of ECHO's biosand filter, my first though was that I wouldn't drink the water.  I know how biosand filters work, but the engineer in me wants quality assurance.  The same goes for most of the other popular appropriate technology water treatment methods.  


So here is my question: 

Does anyone out there know of any appropriate technology solutions for water quality testing? 

The research I have seen uses expensive testing techniques and requires a full lab.  I'm sure others might have more faith in biosand filters than I do, but if I wouldn't drink the water, I have a hard time recommending it to anyone.  I have also seen resources that recommend always using a disinfection tablet in conjunction with biosand filters, which is great if they are consistently available and affordable.  If you need to use a disinfection tablet in the end anyway, it seems to me like a biosand filter isn't really necessary since simple sedimentation and filtration would probably be enough to prepare the water for disinfection.  So for a lot of reasons, I want to know if there is a way to determine water quality beyond just measuring turbidity that doesn't require sending away samples.  

Ideally the testing could be done with only materials purchased or found in East Africa.  

I welcome any and all resources, suggestions, thoughts, crazy ideas, etc.  Send them my way! I haven't done much research on the topic, so maybe the answer to my question is already out there, which would be awesome.  No need to reinvent the wheel. I'd love to learn! 

4 comments:

linda said...

So by appropriate, you mean inexpensive, portable, and available in East Africa? I certainly know of certain portable measurement devices, but as far as their availability in East Africa, I'm not sure. I wouldn't drink any water without disinfecting it, personally, even after it goes through sand filter, unless you considering boiling it as disinfection.

Christine said...

Thanks, Linda! Boiling is great, but can also be expensive depending on what fuel sources are available. I guess my question boils down to the fact that people are promoting biosand filters as an appropriate technology solution, but I want to know how you can be sure the biosand filter is working properly and that the water is potable. I'm definitely looking for something I can find in East Africa, but I would love to learn about what is available in the US as well. =)

Brad said...

Hi Christine,

My friend who drilled wells in Darfur used a kit from Oxfam. They are manufactured by Delagua who has a company division in Rwanda.

http://www.delagua.org/products/categories/delagua-kits

They aren't cheap and probably not what you are thinking of as appropriate technology. However, if you aren't after a complete water profile, I imagine that the biological test could be duplicated inexpensively -- with the help of a microbiologist.

I see on the ECHO site there is a listing for an agriculturalist in Mundri. Did you friend leave or do you have more than one person in that role?

Brad

Christine said...

Thanks, Brad! I will check it out. As things go in missions, there have been a lot of unexpected changes since I arrived in S. Sudan, so unfortunately I haven't had any time to experiment with biosand filters. Also in my mind the river was close to our house, but when I got back I realized it is a lot farther than I remember and the path is totally overgrown. Of course it is still something I'm really interested in learning about!

I haven't seen the listing on the website, but we are definitely recruiting agriculturalists. There is a woman here who is already doing some ag work, but she also works in other areas. We would love more people in the agriculturalist role!