Friday, July 29, 2011

Books, Movies, and Sermons

A few of the things I have been reading, watching, and listening to over the last six months:

BOOKS:


The Poor Will Be Glad by Peter Greer and Phil Smith

I got the book for free at a lunch organized by HOPE International. Aaron, a friend of mine from WEPC, is with HOPE in the Dominican Republic and he was back in Richmond for a few days in the spring. Check out his blog! http://www.aaronroth.net/ The book focuses on microfinance but also addresses broader issues in international development.

Don't Bother to Unpack: Sudan 1959-1964 by Dorothy Lowe

This book has been passed around our team for the last year. It is an account of five years Dorothy Lowe lived in Mundri with her husband and three children in the early 1960's. This book has been so encouraging to me personally. Dorothy is a very honest author and talks about the struggles and challenges she faced during her time in Sudan. There is also some beautiful about seeing pictures of people and places I know in Mundri taken by missionaries living in the same community decades ago.

I Married You by Walter Trobisch

Most of the women my age that I am friends with here in Mundri are married and have many children, so as I have been getting to know them and hearing about their experiences, this book was recommended to me. The book is based on the experiences of an American pastor and his wife who are invited to Africa to speak on marriage.


The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Steward

A fun kid's book that I read while traveling. =)

MOVIES:

Of Gods and Men (French w/ subtitles)

Based on a true story about a group of monks living in Algeria during the time of Algeria's civil war in the 1990's. I could say a lot about this movie, but instead I will just recommend you watch it for yourself.

Jane Eyre (2011)

I HIGHLY recommend the new Jane Eyre! Of course, if you know me you know that I am always up for a good period movie.

Adjustment Bureau

A romantic thriller with a science fiction slant and themes of predestination makes for a good choice for team movie night. A little something for everyone.

SERMONS:

Tim Keller - A Bruised Reed He Will Not Break

I have listened to this sermon twice in the last few months. "There is nothing easy about [...] being followers of the servant [...] who care as much about the broken and battered person and their need to have the love of Jesus in his heart as to systems of injustice in the world." - Tim Keller. It should be available for purchase at the Redeemer Sermon Store.

2 comments:

DrsMyhre said...

can you bring the don't bother to unpack book? heard so much about it! thanks for the recommendations!

Heidi said...

I've been trying to get Of God's and Men at Redbox for a couple weeks now and it's never there! Seems you AND the rest of Redbox patrons in St. Louis are big fans....makes me wanna stand by the dispenser until someone returns it...well, not really. But I do really wanna see it.