Monday, July 4, 2011

Vovô Moacyr


On the 26th of this month my grandfather, Vovô Moa, turns 90! My grandmother, Vovó Dulce, turned 89 earlier this year.

I wish that on that day I could be in Santos, Brazil celebrating with the rest of my family. I wish I could be there to give him and hug and kiss and tell him that I love him in person. Unfortunately I can't be there. Even my mom and dad won't be able to make the trip from the US for Vovô's 90th birthday.


There are many blessings that come with being a part of a very international family, but there are also many sadnesses. I am thankful for the opportunities I had to travel internationally as a child and learn three languages. I am also sad that I have not been able to spend much time with my grandparents, aunt, uncle, and cousins in person. I usually see them only once every two or three years.

Bethany recently posted a picture of some of the first missionaries leaving on a boat for South Sudan in 1905. They left their families not knowing when they would next hear any news from home. My cousin sent me these family pictures from my grandmother's birthday. I am so thankful that missionaries today, even South Sudan, have internet and decent cell phone connections. I can receive pictures by email. I can talk to my parents Skype to cell phone for a reasonable price. I hear news from my family and friends.



I am hoping to speak with my grandfather by Skype sometime closer to his birthday. My grandparents don't have internet, so it is more complicated. Please pray that all the details would work out.

Happy 90th Birthday Vovô Moa!

2 comments:

DrsMyhre said...

Hope it worked out. This is the cost that Jesus spoke of, leaving father and mother for His sake . . . and on days like a 90th birthday you really feel that cost. BTW if you had posted that picture and said they were turning 70 it would have been more believable. YOu have good genes!

pat abbott said...

Christine, this is a sweet post! thanks be to God that he gave you such diversity in your family. He also gave you the love for many people different from yourself! thanks for writing about your family. and thanks to them for entrusting you to God to go to the ends of the earth.