Monday, March 25, 2013

From Guns to Coke Bottles


This article caught my eye this morning for two reasons: 

1) I have a fascination with Mozambique even though I have never been there 
2) In one short article, the author manages to hit several of the major themes covered in Economic Development last semester  

After reading the article, one line stuck with me.  

"But now the walls bear images, not of clenched fists or of AK-47s, but of the ubiquitous Coca-Cola bottle, or of smiling faces boasting the virtues of one or other mobile phone company."  

It reminded me of this verse from the book of Isaiah.  

They will beat their swords into plowshares
    and their spears into pruning hooks  ~ Isaiah 2:4 

*Sculpture titled Let Us Beat Swords Into Plowshares at the United Nations Art Collection* 

Personally, if I were to repurpose a metal symbol of destruction, I'd make it into a water tap.  =)

I have been thinking a lot about the importance of symbols in communities, especially since I was assigned to do a group presentation on symbolic interactionism for my Community Development class last semester.  

So today the article has me considering symbols of peace and prosperity in different times and worldviews. Rather than try to express those thoughts in written form, I will just leave it as an idea for you to ponder.  


*RAWTools turning weapons into farm tools - These guys spoke briefly at the Justice Conference*  


No comments: