Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Airport Ads and Reminiscing


I spend a lot of time at airports.  Before a long flight I tend to wander the airport just so I can move my legs in anticipation of the hours of sitting ahead.  While waiting for flights I get to see a lot of airport ads.  I always look for the HSBC ads which are usually clever.  This campaign in particular made me smile.  First, as a student of international development, I agree that local knowledge is immensely important.  But mostly, it sounds like a Michael-ism.  "Never underestimate the importance of local knowledge" fits right in with "never underestimate the power of the equatorial sun to reduce productivity" and "never underestimate the usefulness of a short length of pipe" and all the other valuable lessons Michael taught his engineering apprentices.  Michael usually shares those pearls of wisdom after singing the following lyrics.

"I have only come here seeking knowledge, things they would not teach me of in college" ~ Wrapped Around Your Finger, The Police  

And I definitely learned a lot of things not taught at Penn State!  Before starting on our first water tower, Michael had me practice with Kyle by making a work bench.  Kyle and I planned, discussed, measured, and cut the angle irons with a hack saw.  As we were getting ready to weld them together, we realized that even with two engineering degrees between us, we had still cut every angle iron on the wrong plane creating spear like pieces. Good thing Michael had us practice first! Now you know why Michael kept singing those lyrics.  I definitely lacked practical skills when I arrived in S. Sudan.

So now back to the airport ads.


Recently, I have also taken notice of the strange but humorous Oxfam ads.   Since I'm guessing you can't read the small text, it reads "unique gifts that help fight hunger, poverty, and social injustice."

So next time you are at the airport, walk around and check out the ads.

And if you want to realize how little you know and what it means to minister from weakness, apply to be an engineering intern in Mundri.  You will learn from the men of the local water office, your teammates, and lots of other amazing people in Mundri town.  You may even get Michael to sing you those lyrics!

No comments: